Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Simple Things

I just finished reading a friend's post over at At His Feet.... She has posted some pictures of her girls in a sunflower field. Simple things...that's what she talks about. How right she is! It is amazing how much joy we can glean from the simple things in life if we will only take the time. So many times I feel like I am rushed or on the go too much to truly appreciate life's little treasures (provided by God, of course).

Lately though, God has been speaking to my heart about this. You know from my previous posts how my children and I have been trying to make a little sanctuary in our backyard to attract birds. We have truly had a delightful spring and summer from that little bit of effort we put forth. We sit outside on the patio or at the kitchen table and watch the birds come to our feeders and birdbath. We keep a basket with bird guides and binoculars handy and when we see a different bird, we pull out that field guide and learn all about the bird. What joy we have found in this simple little act!

Another "simple" act we enjoy is just sitting outside with the puppies. They are so playful, we all sit and laugh just watching their antics...it's hilarious...and so good for us as a family. Laughter is good medicine...it bonds us together.

Another simple pleasure for me is a daily walk my husband and I take each evening down our dirt road. Sometimes the kids accompany us, sometimes it's just the two of us. And lately, the puppies have been tagging along. It's amazing how much joy I have received from just taking a walk! But really, it is more than a walk...the talks dh and I share...the flowers we see on the side of the road, the bugs we see (and try to identify, lol) scooting across our path, and lately the deer tracks that my husband stops and points out to me ("let me show you how to tell if it's a buck or a doe," he says). I don't know how much of our walk is truly exercise (lol), but I do know that it is definitely food for the soul.

God knows this, and He wants us to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life. It is His way of blessing us. I don't know about you, but I sure feel alot less stressed and alot more blessed when I use the eyes He gave me to enjoy the simple (yet amazing) beauty that is all around us.

Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. Melissa, I just found your blog. (Sherry Everett told me about it when Mr. Vinson had his hip surgery). I enjoyed reading it and especially this one. God has been dealing with me about slowing down and enjoying his blessings. My father in law is in the last stages of Alzhiemer's and my husband (Nick) is not working at this time so that he can stay with him and help his mom. We have learned to find beauty in the simple things - I just forget from time to time - thinking I need to work and do extra so that Nick can spend more time with his Dad. God is good - all the time - even when I seem to busy to notice. I think I found your blog just at the right time. Thanks for posting it. Love ya, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always try to remember this as I start each school year. Take it slower - take time to enjoy God's creation. Yet I find I tend to overbook myself and halfway through the school year - when everything is moving so fast - and I just want to sit back for a good long rest - I think wouldn't it be wonderful to have time just to take a nice long walk in the woods with the snow falling silently all around me!! Heavenly - well, at least it would be quiet until the kids all clutter around!! Still, even that is a joyous noise. The chatter of kids having fun in the snow, laughing and throwing snowballs at each other! I have boys - that is all they want to do with snow - sled on it or throw it!
    Great post!! Great reminder for the start of the school season.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN! This is the time of year when I re-evaluate all of our old activities to see what can go as we add new ones. For the longest time I thought we could keep adding activities w/o having to take any away... then after awhile we're too busy so I try to re-evaluate every year now.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.