Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Butterflies and Fall

The weather here has definitely begun to feel fall-ish. The temperature this week has been just perfect for getting outside. We have such hot summers here, that unless you have a pool, you pretty much stay indoors with air conditioning. So this week has been a nice respite from the hot temps.

Today we were able to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes... nature study. I think that has to be one of my favorite things about homeschooling. I love just being able to take as much time as we want to enjoy God's marvelous creation, especially on days like today! Today we chose to watch the butterflies. After lunch we spent some time just watching them fluttering around the yard. I have Lantana planted in flower beds in my front and back yards, and this flowering plant is a haven for the butterflies. Will brought out his net and decided to capture one to study up close.





Later this afternoon, before heading to church, we turned it loose again.


And look at this one we found. I never tire of marveling at God's creativity!




And this one was fluttering around in the front yard. I was surprised how close it let me get.


I would like to think that we are in the fall season for good, but I know that we really aren't. We are just getting a break due to the tropical storm "Lee" that came up through the gulf recently. Next week the temperature is supposed to be back up in the 90's again. But the hint of fall has been nice. It gives us something to look forward to. 

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, I'm impressed anytime someone can actually catch a butterfly. That's awesome. I just enjoy watching my dog fruitlessly chase them all over the yard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures - I love butterflies!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.