Thursday, March 26, 2009

Holy Things

I have been reading through the book of Isaiah for my quiet time with God in the mornings and I have especially been taken with the description of the seraphs who stood above the throne in Isaiah's vision. "Above Him were seraphs, each with six wings: with two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying" (Isa. 6:2). The Lord has really impressed upon my heart the importance of this Scripture; therefore, I have been studying it and I thought I would share what I have found. "With two wings they covered their faces." Why would they cover their faces? Obviously they were in the presence of a holy God, and they dared not look at the One whom they were worshipping. In his sermon, "The Vision of God," Selwyn Hughes states, "the implication here is that what we do for God must be done with reverence." I would dare to say that in this day of modern Christianity, we have lost the spirit of reverence. I would even dare to say that is why so many are cynical about Christianity. My bible cross-references Hebrews 12:28-29, "28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. 29 For our God is a consuming fire." We are told to serve God acceptably (acceptable by whose standards? certainly not ours) with reverence and with godly fear. When we fail to reverence God, we allow holy things to lose their sacredness and become common. Sadly, all we have to do is look around within the church to see this happening. I am usually one of those people who say, "keep your focus on what's above, not around you" but, if Christians don't rise up and reclaim what has been lost, I fear that the generations that follow will feel the impact a hundred-fold.

Heavenly Father, help me develop respect and reverence for holy things. Help me to worship You in a way that is acceptable to You, not how I think is acceptable, but how You say is acceptable. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hoping this post will go through.

    Very thought provoking.

    :) HUGS
    blessings,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.