Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mourning

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. Today we lost a friend, a coach, a mentor. Much beloved, he will be missed by so many.

I was going to write about our weekend trip, but in light of this loss, our trip seems so insignificant. Everything else seems so insignificant...

Mr. Kenneth was one of my husband's fellow basketball coaches. He was my daughter's JV basketball coach. His youngest daughter is a fellow classmate, athlete, and friend of my daughter. He was a bi-vocational pastor of a Baptist church. He was killed in an auto accident this morning. He was in his late 40s, and he leaves behind a wife and four children (two in college, two in high school).

I know Mr. Kenneth is right now rejoicing in the presence of his Lord and Savior. I also know that we don't mourn or grieve as those with no hope. But somehow, facing loss and grief, those words don't seem like much to offer to his family. But in reality, that's all we can offer. That's all we can cling to. He is in heaven and his family will see him again one day because they are believers. We don't have to mourn as those with no hope. Indeed, our hope is in the Lord!

My heart has been so heavy... there's been a lump in my throat all day... I've choked back tears more times than I can count. If this is what I am feeling, Oh imagine his family! I know that time will heal the wounds, that they have the hope of knowing they will see him again one day. But as I consider his dear family, his children... I recall the devastating loss of my own dear mother when I was but 19 years old. And I am overcome with a wave of grief, fresh and new, in spite of a 21-year lapse.

Will you join me in praying for this family? Can I be so bold as to ask you to continue to lift them up to our heavenly Father in the upcoming days and weeks, because as you know that is when it will be the hardest for them. That is when our adversary the devil will prey upon them, trying to keep them downcast. Pray that the God of our hope, the God of our salvation will pour out His grace on this dear family. That He would wrap them in His presence and comfort them as only He can. That He would give them the true peace that only He can provide in times of trouble and sorrow.

For I will turn their mourning to joy, will comfort them, and make them rejoice rather than sorrow -- Jeremiah 31:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.