Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Throw Out My Homemade Laundry Detergent?

School finished by 12:30 today. Two loads of laundry finished. Lunch done. One of Will's friends (who is in the local school system which is out on spring break this week) is over to spend the afternoon with us. So that means that I am free to write on my blog earlier than usual.

So much for using the homemade laundry detergent that I recently experimented with. Not long after beginning to use this detergent, Kate came to me one day with a full body rash. She was covered with a bright red rash from her head to her feet. I don't mean a few splotches here and there. I mean totally covered with a raised red rash. Not. Even. Kidding. And me, the Queen of the Camera, did not take a single picture.

She has always been our child with overly sensitive skin, but she's not had any outbreaks in years now so it did not even occur to me that changing laundry detergent might affect her. Duh. I used to have to be so very careful about things like that.

Of course we dosed her up with Claritin and Zantac and rubbed her down with Benadryl cream for several days. I took ALL of her clothes from closet and dresser and re-washed them in the old detergent. And now she's all better.

Ok... so what to do with this laundry detergent I made? So much for becoming a domestic diva. I don't know, though, if I surf around the net long enough, I probably can find another use for homemade laundry detergent. One that doesn't involve washing laundry.

By the way, I forgot to mention in yesterday's post that at my appointment last Thursday, the doctor discovered that I have a heart murmur. Yes. That was so random and not even remotely related to today's post.

*Update: We found out Kate is allergic to the Fels-Naptha soap. So, I kept researching and found another recipe which replaces the Fels-Naptha with Ivory soap. It makes a detergent comparable to Ivory Snow or Dreft, which is for babies and sensitive skin. We've been using this detergent for over a year now with no allergic reactions whatsoever.

1 comment:

  1. Well... at least you tried (LOL)! Forget the home made soap. I'm doing good if I just have clean clothes. Period.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.