Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Back to the Blog

Wow! I haven't been around here in quite a while! I can't believe it's already the end of June and the last time I was here was near the end of April. Wow!

I have to admit... I've kind of gotten caught up in the Instagram craze. Kind of easy to keep up with friends and family through the posting of pictures. But I realize I sure have missed blogging. A lot has happened around here since April.

We took a short trip to St. Augustine at the end of spring break week. And this time Ryan was able to go with us!


Back at the Fountain of Youth... just because Ryan has never been and wanted to see it.
 
 
 
our yearly pilgrimage to drink from the legendary waters
(haha)
 
 
Ryan and Will in front of the fountain
 
 
Kate, feeding one of the many peacocks that freely roam the grounds
 
 
Nombre de Dios
This was new since the last time we were here. This building is a replica of the one first built by Franciscan friars in 1573. Nombre de Dios is now recognized as the first Catholic mission in the continental United States. You didn't really think you were going to get through this post without a bit of a history lesson, now did you?
 
 
Will, reading about the mission
 
 
Will, reading about the different birds living in the park. I am happy to report that learning can take place wherever you are.
 
 
This, too, was new since our last visit.
The Spanish built watchtowers around St. Augustine to provide an early warning of potential threats.
 
 
Firing of the cannon at the fort
 
 
Me and my big ol' boy
 
 
About to walk out onto the observation platform
 
 
My monkeys, playing in the huge old trees on the grounds
 

 While in St. Augustine this time, we decided to tour the St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum.

 
 
Climbing up 219 steps
 
 
Taking a break halfway up
 
 
We made it! Love the view from the top!
 
 
Looking waaayy down there
 
 
Inside the lighthouse keeper's home
 
And here's a sight I've never seen before. Some kind of water-propelled jet pack? It was neat watching him, but I don't think I'd want to give it a try.
 
 
 
We always enjoy our trips to St. Augustine. There's so much to see and do in this city, and we never stay long enough to do it all! Maybe next time we'll get to go to the beach while there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.