Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

I am so thankful that God has allowed me to be a mother.

There is no feeling quite like holding your newborn baby in your arms and experiencing that rush of joy, that mix of emotions known only to a mommy. Watching your child grow, seeing him or her learning, living, and loving... there are no words to adequately describe these "mommy" feelings.

There is a saying that goes something like this: "your children hold your hands for a little while, but your heart forever." And another one says, "your children step on your toes when they're little, and then your heart when they're older."

I guess there is some truth in both of these sayings. They don't hold my hands much anymore, but they certainly have a hold on my heart! And they aren't stepping on my toes anymore either, but they sure have a way of hurting my heart sometimes.

Despite all of the growing pains we've experienced, I wouldn't have it any other way! I am so thankful for the privilege of being a mom to these gifts the Lord has entrusted to my care. My desire is to be a joyful momma, leading my children by example and directing them to the Lord. God is still working on me in this area (among others!). I'm so thankful He hasn't given up on me. I want to walk worthy of my calling.

my blessings

Mother's Day is always a little bittersweet for me. My own dear mother went to be with the Lord when I was 19. Although I love celebrating with my children, I do miss my momma terribly. I had a dream about  her a few nights ago. In my dream, I was in heaven and she was the first person I went looking for. When I woke from the dream, I felt guilty that she was the first person I wanted to see (instead of Jesus!) I don't really know if there is any significance in that dream. I would like to think that the first person I look for in heaven will be my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! I guess I just miss her so much, even after all these years.

As I was lying in bed a couple nights after that dream, I was pondering it and thinking about her... and it dawned on me that I am now older than my momma lived to be. That's a weird feeling.

I miss her so much, but I am comforted just knowing that she is in heaven and I will be able to see her again one day! In the meantime, I pray that I can be half the mother to my children that she was to my brother and me.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.  3 John 4

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry about your loss - and missing your mother - I realize it was awhile ago but still it is a hurt that I am sure doesn't fully go away. :) Diminishes with time but not away. I loved the picture of your children. It is a beautiful picture. Hope your mother's day was special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks so much Debbie! You are right; the pain never does go completely away, but it does diminish with time.

    I hope your Mother's Day was special, as well!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.