Friday, January 3, 2014

Christmas

Christmas...
Just the word conjures up so many memories, so many emotions.
 
The tree, the lights, the food, all the decorations, the carols, the fellowship with family and friends, the traditions.
I just love everything about Christmas!
 


Following is an assortment of pictures from our Christmas holidays.
 

Once the tree is decorated, Mike climbs up on the step-ladder to place the star on top. We used to have an angel for our tree topper, but somehow, a few years ago she was damaged and after searching for another angel and not finding one as beautiful as she was, I found this pretty capiz star. So for the past few years now, we've had this "star of Bethlehem" tree topper. I like it. A lot.
 
Here are my babies. I don't think I've posted about them... I babysit for two young teacher moms.
 
This is our Awana club caroling at our local nursing home. The residents loved seeing the kids and they did a great job of singing along with us!
 
Mike and me at the deacons Christmas party
 
Christmas cantata at church
 
One of my favorite things about Christmas is getting together with our families!
 
Kate, with my great-niece Bailey

Bailey and Uncle Mike (He is crazy about his great-niece.)

Kate helping Bailey open her gift

Granddaddy (Mike's dad) and our kids
 
my three little nieces

Just hanging out at Papa and Nana's

Papa and Nana (my parents) with all their grandkids

Yay! A family picture with all of us!
 
Christmas Eve service at church
Pastor Brad is reading the bible to the children.

Singing carols in the candlelight
 
One of our Christmas Eve traditions is, after returning home from the Christmas Eve service at church, they open the gifts they bought for each other.

my blessings on Christmas morning
 
There are so many things about Christmas that I love. I've mentioned several things already.
I guess one of my favorite things about Christmas, or a Christmas tradition if you will, is
reflecting back over the year.
 
 
I like to sit in the den with the Christmas lights on, sipping hot chocolate, or coffee, and watching the lights twinkle. Sometimes I put my Christmas music on. But mostly, I just like to sit and reflect on my Savior. On what He's done for me, what He means to me.
 
I think back over the year that is almost at an end, and I am amazed at how blessed I am. My life is not perfect, but still, I have so much to be thankful for. A husband who loves me and our children, and works hard to provide for our needs. Three children who have blessed my life more than they will ever know. Wonderful family. Precious friendships - both in real life, face to face, as well as those in the cyber world.
 
I could stop here and I think everyone would agree, that yes, I am blessed. But as wonderful as that is, I would have to say that it truly does pale in comparison to the blessing of knowing Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Of knowing God as my Father.
 
I think back over the year and I am amazed at His love for me. At how He never gives up on me. He loves me, at my lowest, when I am so unlovely, so unworthy, He loves me! That is something I want to shout from the rooftops... He loves me! 
 
To think that Jesus, the King of kings, left the ivory palaces, that He came to earth to be born as a babe in a manger. That He gave up his life among the heavenly host to live with peasant parents, to be denied by His own chosen people, to suffer and die a cruel criminal's death on a cross.
 
All a substitutionary death for me. To pay a debt He didn't owe. To pay a penalty I couldn't pay.
 
And that my friends, is the best thing about Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.