Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Sickness Continues... Maybe There's an End in Sight?

For the few of you outside of my family that read my blog, these posts about our continuing saga of sickness are probably starting to get a bit boring to you. For that, I apologize. But I have found this blog to be beneficial in helping me keep family members informed and up to date on what's happening in our lives. Plus, it serves as a diary to help me keep track of what my poor memory can't.

Today has been spent taking care of two sick little peeps. Every four hours administering some medicinal concoction to help relieve the congestion, the coughing, the aches.

Last night the doctor called to deliver the results of the different tests that were performed on Kate. The strep test result was negative, but she did test positive for the flu, Influenza B to be exact. I was a little surprised because she had so few symptoms of what I thought would be related to the flu. And since I wasn't sure exactly what flu type b is, I did a little research.

There are three types of flu viruses: A, B, and C. Type A and B cause the annual influenza epidemics that have up to 20% of the population sniffling, aching, coughing, and running high fevers. Type C also causes flu; however, type C flu symptoms are much less severe.

Unlike type A flu viruses, type B flu is found only in humans. Type B flu may cause a less severe reaction than type A flu virus, but occasionally, type B flu can still be extremely harmful. Influenza type B viruses are not classified by subtype and do not cause pandemics.

So I learned that Type B Influenza symptoms can range from mild and annoying to severe and serious. And that different people react differently to this virus. The doctor feels that although she didn't test Will or me, we most likely have had the flu as well. Needless to say I was somewhat surprised. I had the flu a few years ago, and I remember spending a few days in bed, so sick I could hardly move. Apparently I had Type A.

The good news is this type doesn't usually last as long, however some of the symptoms (such as coughing and sneezing/sniffling) can last for about three weeks. And Kate's chest x-rays showed that her lungs were clear, no bronchitis or pneumonia. Yay!

Will has felt somewhat better today, compared to yesterday. His fever has stayed down and he even felt like reading some of his Science today. Kate, on the other hand, is experiencing the worst today. She has been lying around in the recliner for most of the day, sniffling, sneezing and coughing. But surprisingly, no fever since 4:00 am this morning. And me... I'm still sniffling and congested, and tired, but I did make a run to Wal-Mart today for more medicine and some more chicken noodle soup. So guess what we'll be having for supper tonight? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.