Monday, March 12, 2012

Savannah, GA

Kate's 10th grade American history class went on a field trip to Savannah recently. Since I was asked to be a chaperon, Will had to tag along too. We toured the Roundhouse Railroad Museum, learning the history of this major repair facility of the Central of Georgia Railway, and why it was built in the port city of Savannah.

I don't think the kids appreciated the efforts of our tour guide as much as I did. But then again, I am quite the history buff.  My boys are somewhat interested in learning history, as it applies to certain things they are interested in at the time. My daughter, however, is one of those people who stores historical information in her short term memory bank just long enough to pass the test and then promptly forgets what she has learned. Sometimes I feel sad that my children don't appreciate history as much as I do, but I realize that God gives us all different interests.

After our museum tour, we had an opportunity to eat lunch on River Street, a lovely, old cobblestone street, flanked by centuries old buildings converted into shops, restaurants and residences on one side and the Savannah River on the other.  We had time to visit only a couple of the quaint little shops located there. I wish we'd had more time to spend there. It is a beautiful part of Savannah, worthy of at least a couple hours of your time.

Unfortunately, I have no pictures of the museum to share due to the fact that my memory card was in the camera bag (in my vehicle), instead of in my camera (where it belongs). But, I do have a few pictures of our visit to River Street.

outside the Cotton Exchange, where we ate lunch


outside Savannah's Candy Kitchen

overlooking the Savannah River

Will's chocolate-covered strawberry from Savannah's Candy Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.