Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hope For the Hurting

Last week we went on a field trip to a place called Refuge Ranch. Refuge Ranch is just what its name implies. It is a ranch, and it is a refuge for the broken, a place where the broken-hearted and the hurting can find healing, a place where they can find the love of Jesus within the love of a family.

Billy and Bonnie Walker are the owners of Refuge Ranch. They raise cattle on their ranch. And they are the parents of 26 children, 23 of whom they have adopted. Their story is amazing!

Bonnie says the Lord gave her a vision when she was a young girl that she would one day be the mother of many. She didn't know that in fulfilling that promise to her, God would use her and her husband to rescue broken and hurting children from foster care. They have an amazing testimony and you can read their story here.




We had lunch when we first arrived at the ranch. All the families set up picnic areas on the front lawn of the Walker's home. After lunch we were entertained with a lovely worship dance by some of the younger Walker children.



 Here I am with the youngest of the Walker clan, sweet 6-month old Olivia. Isn't she just precious?


After lunch, Bonnie shared a devotional with us, sharing her story of how God has brought them to this place and has allowed them, through the years, to become the parents of 26 children. 



She played a game with all the children and then they were set free to do what they wanted to do most... romp and play in the large yard of the Walker home. And all the ladies gathered around Bonnie for some heart-to-heart talking.

I was immensely blessed by this visit! With God having placed a desire in our hearts to adopt children from the foster care system, I knew this visit was ordained by Him. Bonnie was so kind to answer my many questions. She shared so much helpful insight with me of the foster care system, and even went so far as to invite me to call her any time I have more questions.



Doesn't this picture evoke feelings of peacefulness and serenity? Country road, take me home, to the place, I belong... Ha! Maybe it's just me :). But I really did have such a peaceful feeling in the presence of this amazing family.


I am so thankful that God allowed my path to cross with this dear lady. She was such a tremendous blessing to me and I only hope that God will use my family to minister in the life of a precious, broken-hearted child as He has this family.




1 comment:

  1. I am glad you liked it. It was a great field trip and Bonnie was so encouraging. So not what we are use to anymore huh? Where family was our main focus. It was refreshing. Very peaceful and encouraging. Lysa loved it too. The girls were all so nice to her.

    Hugs,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.