Monday, February 11, 2013

Homeschooling in High School

Will is going to be in high school in 6 months. I can't believe my *baby* is going to be in high school in just 6 short months. I'm aware we haven't even finished this school year and yet, I am already contemplating curriculum for high school.

I didn't have to worry about this with my first two children. They both went to the Christian school in Baxley for their high school years, but Will has been pretty adamant that he wants to continue to homeschool. So even though we still have about 3-1/2 months of 8th grade left, I've already begun poring over catalogs in search of the right curriculum for us.

Over the years, we've tried many different types of curriculum and education styles. What seems to work best for our homeschool is a combination of the classical education/Charlotte Mason methods.  So, although I don't really want to take the strictly traditional/textbook approach offered by both Abeka and Bob Jones curriculum providers, I do feel that for the high school years it would probably be better to use a more structured, comprehensive 4-year plan.

For that reason I will consider using Abeka or Bob Jones, but I am really leaning toward My Father's World or Sonlight Curriculum. Both of those offer a combination of classical education and Charlotte Mason methodology. Both use Apologia sciences and Saxon and/or Teaching Textbooks maths. I'm just not sure which one I like better.

My biggest concern is teaching the upper maths and sciences. Will really thinks he wants to pursue a career in the field of marine biology, so that means he needs to take as many maths and science courses as possible during his high school years. He is doing Apologia General Science and Teaching Textbooks Algebra I this year, and he's doing really well with both of those. So, I'm considering continuing with both Apologia and TT, but I'm just curious if anybody else has used anything different and, if so, what your opinions are. I know that I will need to use something with video instruction because upper level maths and sciences are not my thing. And although hubby is super smart and maths and sciences are his thing, his job doesn't always leave him with much time to devote towards helping me teach.

If anyone has any thoughts, or suggestions, or advice, I really would love your input. For those of you who have been there before me, please feel free to comment and tell me what worked for you. Even if you haven't made it to the high school level with your kiddos yet, I would love for you to share your thoughts of what you are considering.

5 comments:

  1. Melissa, I wanted to link this to show it to you - I know the distance is a bit much but some of this is available online. Maybe ACA has a similar program or could be talked into one? TCS (basketball rivals, I know) has a homeschool partnership program to work alongside homeschooling parents to help with those challenging subjects and prepare the students for the challenges of the collegiate programs. It's outlined here: http://www.tcsstatesboro.org/menu-2/homeschool-partnership-program

    I'm not a homeschooling mom so I can't answer much, though I am surrounded by aplenty of them and can ask around if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. You can ask around if you don't mind. Any advice is most welcome! They can share their suggestions and/or experiences here, if they feel inclined to do so, or they can email me at mandmvinson90@gmail.com
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. praying for you. We will talk and share. Love you. YOU can do this.... and so can Will!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teena. I know that I can always count on you for your advice and wisdom in this homeschooling journey that we share! Love you!

      Delete
  3. Love you too! Praying for you too.... and the house situation. Praying for you and Will..... and your allergies!

    ((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.