Saturday, September 22, 2012

Summer Vacation - Part 2 - Thomas Jefferson's Monticello

This is the second of a three-part series about our vacation to the great state of Virginia, and Washington, DC. If you missed the first post, and are interested in catching up, you can go here.

Since our resort was not too far from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, we paid a visit there one afternoon. Undoubtedly, not everyone gets such a thrill as I did from visiting this plantation. How can I explain it? To walk in a room where someone from our American heritage walked, to touch the very walls he touched, to see the chair in which he at one time sat.... yes, I know... there's no help for me. Now if we had been able to visit George Washington's Mount Vernon, too... well, that would have sent me right over the edge :).
I get the same feeling when walking through the Indian mounds we've visited, or when walking into an old, primitive church building. Oh my, how I'd love to one day visit the Holy Land, to walk where our Savior once walked, to see some of the very sights He saw. Goose bumps... I just can't help it.
 
On our way to Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, we made reservations to eat lunch at Michie's Tavern, an authentic 18th century inn and tavern, located a few miles down the road from Thomas Jefferson's property.
 
 
 
 
Here we are waiting for our lunch, a meal consisting of traditional 18th century fare served in this inn, among others, during that time period. As it turns out, it just happens to be some of the same 21st century fare we serve today: fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, black eyed peas, turnip greens, and cornbread, followed by peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream for dessert. Oh, but we didn't have to drink ale with our meal... they were happy to indulge us in my family's sweet tea and my Diet Coke obsession. :)
 
Here it is... Thomas Jefferson's Monticello

 

 
Taking pictures during the guided tour of the inside of the home is not allowed. However, on the tour of the outbuildings, and the outside it is allowed. This kitchen, as all kitchens of plantation homes during that time period, was not a part of the main structure of the house. Does anyone else experience the same chills and thrills that I feel when looking at this kitchen (and all the rest of the house, for that matter), when considering what it was actually like, what the people who worked in this kitchen were like? Don't misunderstand me, I do thoroughly enjoy all the modern conveniences of the 21st century kitchen. But part of me would really like to be able to step back in time for a day, just to experience what it was like. Don't worry, I'm sure I wouldn't want to stay for me than a day :).

on the west lawn and gardens

part of the "small" family vegetable patch


Don't they appear to be such close-knit, loving siblings? Don't be fooled; they are attempting to get close enough to step on each other's feet. Yes, my children are rascals! (But they really do love one another, and for that I am thankful.)
 
Don't forget to check back for the Washington, DC part of this vacation.
 
Update: Here's a link to the 3rd installment of this series, Summer Vacation part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you'd like... I'd love to hear from you.